State Supreme Court vacates permit for Thirty Meter Telescope – Honolulu Star-Advertiser

IMG_3320-3The Hawaii state Supreme Court today invalidated the permit allowing construction of the Thirty Meter Telescope atop Mauna Kea.

The court said the state Board of Land and Natural Resources erred when it issued the permit before a contested case hearing was held for the $1.4 billion project.

“Quite simply, the board put the cart before the horse,” said the opinion written by Chief Justice Mark Recktenwald.

The court on Nov. 17 granted a request for an emergency stay that blocked crews from working at the TMT site through today, averting a confrontation with protesters who had planned to stop crews from performing vehicle maintenance and repair at the work site.

Today’s order could set back the project months to years while it goes through permitting again.

TMT officials previously said they would forge ahead with construction of the cutting-edge telescope even if a major delay emerged from the court.

via State Supreme Court vacates permit for Thirty Meter Telescope – Honolulu Star-Advertiser.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s